Thursday, June 21, 2007

I am one of the little green men

In addition to my regular work, I have begun writing a monthly column for GreenerComputing.com, a site that specializes in discussing news and issues relating to environmental matters in computing.

The principal green issues in IT generally fall into three areas:


  • power consumption
  • regulatory compliance
  • hardware disposal

As anyone who follows the news these days already knows, there's lots of buzz about green, so this is a fun area to working in and a good complement to my traditional areas of professional focus.

Unlike the mainstream green topics (consumer, building design, etc.), green IT makes sense only if the bottom-line aspects also make sense. So, green IT operates within narrow constraints. And because of this, it lacks the moralizing dimension and is instead purely pragmatic. I think I'll like this aspect.

No comments: